Do THIS Before Connecting With The Spiritual World
Without it, you could be in danger
Lately, I’ve been seeing a big theme online and with my Akashic Record clients and students who regularly interact with the spiritual world.
It’s also a theme I’ve seen missing in many posts on Medium about connecting with the spiritual world.
And it has me in full-on hall monitor mode.
Okay, maybe not that bad, but Mama Ahna needed to step in!
I’m talking about the importance of energetic protection.
The importance of learning how to energetically protect ourselves on a daily basis.
And even more important, how to protect ourselves before doing any kind of spiritual work.
The spiritual world has become so trendy lately that everyone wants a piece of the pie, but many have no idea what they’re messing with. No idea what they’re recommending to people. And no clue what the ramifications could be.
To explain, let’s dive into these two areas a little more.
In the Everyday
This week, I had an Akashic Record mentoring client who also booked an Akashic Record Soul Reading afterward. I had reviewed her Human Design chart before our session to gain a greater understanding of how energy flows in her body and what her spiritual gifts are.
After briefly discussing her gifts, she shared how an interaction with a psychically-powerful person numbed out the left side of her body. And how she’s practically blown down by anyone with negative energy.
Then during the Akashic Soul Reading, the Guides not only brought up her empathic abilities but showed me how she was walking around as an open door to any and everything around her.
First, let’s get something straight.
There’s a lot of talk in the spiritual community that only some people are empathic. Only some people get zapped by energetic fields around them.
Every. single. one. of. us. are. empathic. We are all just empathic in different ways.
For example, my empathic abilities are strongest in the area of adrenaline. I knowwww when the Collective is unhappy. When something is coming. When it’s dangerous.
In September 2018, the news stated that Hurricane Florence was headed in our direction. That afternoon, I went out to get gas and was nearly overcome by the energy in the air. I knew immediately it was time to get out of town. My partner and I packed one of our vehicles, fortified the house, and left early the next morning. It was two days before the news announced it was time to get out of town because the hurricane would land as a category 4. Thankfully, we didn’t have to sit in traffic and it landed as a category 1.
In March 2020, right before the US went into lockdown, I remember getting out of bed and nearly being knocked down by the intensity in the air. Then after the lockdown was announced, it was hard to leave my bed for several days due to the heaviness.
It was this second instance that awakened my need to protect myself energetically.
How was I supposed to live life in this manner? On the daily basis, the Collective adrenaline isn’t necessarily running high — I could manage quite well.
But I thought about others, like my partner, who is empathic to the emotions around him. While I can feel these things, it’s not my strongest empathic sense.
This realization made such an impact that I changed my life. Changed my digestive habits (news, social media, etc). And I dug deeeep into understanding my energy and how to protect it. Later that summer, I even hosted a workshop to help others with their energy management.
Protecting your energy on a daily basis can literally change your life, especially if you’re like my most recent client who’s a sponge for everything she’s around.
(How-to’s offered below)
Opening up to the Spiritual World
The second aspect of protection, which I mainly want to focus on, is the importance of learning to protect yourself before engaging with the spiritual world.
To clarify, I’m talking about engaging in any way to communicate with the “other side.” If you are looking for answers, then you’re likely doing this. Even if you’re beginning to use your intuition or lean on it for specific answers, then discernment and protection would be useful in the beginning.
Why? Because the spiritual world isn’t ours. They operate differently. Have different rules. And if you aren’t aware of how things work, would you really just want to show up to see what happens — without protection?
Doing so is akin to showing up in a completely different country where you don’t know anyone, don’t know the language, and have no clue about what is and isn’t acceptable.
If you’re a seasoned practitioner, how or whether you protect yourself is up to you. But please, remind folks to protect themselves. It’s our responsibility to look out for others.
Thankfully, my client’s first foray into the spiritual world was with the Akashic Records, which can be one of the safest modalities to work with IF one enters with a prayer that includes protection.
This is partly why I use Linda Howe’s Pathway Prayer when I teach folks how to read the Akashic Records even though I don’t use it myself. It’s a prayer that’s available to the public and incorporates everything a newbie would need to protect themselves.
I can’t even tell you how many posts I’ve seen on Medium telling folks how to enter the Records — some by folks who’ve never even done it — through methods that I, as an experienced reader, would not use.
And it’s not just the Akashic Records. I’ve seen this with mediums, psychics, and so many more. Not just on Medium — on all social platforms!
It can be D A N G E R O U S to open up to the spiritual world without protection, especially if you are new.
It doesn’t matter if you want to work with “Higher Guides” such as the Angels or Ascended Masters, until you have gained enough experience to discern between them, you’re putting yourself in danger to potentially be manipulated — or worse.
I don’t share this to scare you, the spiritual world is mostly loving. But there are mischievous energies that might want to act out through you. And yes, there are dark energies that don’t always appear dark on the front end.
It doesn’t matter what modality you’re curious about, whether it’s using a pendulum, playing with an Ouiji board or giving mediumship a try — learn how to protect yourself.
And furthermore, be wary of practitioners or teachers who don’t. I’ve never worked with a practitioner who didn’t start with protection and I never would.
I don’t protect myself out of fear, I do it out of reverence for what I don’t know.
How to Protect Yourself
There are limitless ways to protect yourself — it can be as easy or as complicated as you want. What’s most important is that it resonates with you. When I hosted my workshop, I provided a wide array of ways to protect yourself because different things work for different people.
Here, I offer basic, straightforward ways that anyone can utilize. But if they don’t resonate with you, hit up Google and find something that does.
- Educate yourself. There are numerous ways to do this. Personally, I prefer working with someone or reading a reputable book. There are great folks out there online, but do your homework — read the comments, make sure they’re the real deal, and if anything feels off, trust your feelings first! It doesn’t matter how popular they are, not everyone is for us. To work with someone, invest in a mentorship with someone who resonates with you so they can teach you how to protect yourself and work with energy. Or check out books like “Opening to Channel: How to Connect With Your Guide” by Sanaya Roman and Duane Parker. It’s a classic and will be very helpful for understanding how to navigate spiritual worlds even if you aren’t interested in channeling.
- Say a prayer. I call in protection everyday — it’s simply part of my daily practices. Whether I’m accessing the Akashic Records for clients or going out — I want to protect my energy. From my spiritual work. From those around me. From getting caught up in the collective energy. And yes, protect my physical body as well. Personally, I love working with the angels and Archangel Michael is my favorite for protection. These are the words I use, “I call forward AA Michael — wrap your shield of protection around me, protect my energy, and keep me safe from anything that is not in my highest and best. Thank you. And so it is.” Always say “thank you” and seal it with an affirmative statement, such as “and so it is”. You don’t need to pray to angels and you don’t need to use my exact words. Use who and what feels right for you! Side note: Using words like “anything that’s not in my highest and best” allows things that can help us to grow inside. Therefore, if you’ve called in protection, but someone or thing are bothering you — there’s a lesson in it for you.
- Protection practices. This can look like any number of things from meditations to this beautiful visualization practice I came across (and enjoy using). I also love and recommend this meditation to my clients, “Sealing Light Meditation” (sorry, I don’t know the author): Close your eyes and with love, imagine now, begin to visualize, deep within your chest, a brilliant point of White Light. It is your connection with the Light, your connection with Source. This is your Light and your Divine. See this Light expand into your whole body, feel the energy flow through your entire body, down into your legs, out into your arms, filling your head imagine now that the Light is expanding out past the boundaries of your body, outside your physical form, expanding out about an arm’s length in front of you, an arm’s length behind you, an arm’s length on either side of you, as high as you can reach above your head and down beneath your feet. See and feel this Light now lovingly protecting, comfortably surrounding you like a large egg-shaped bubble of White Light. Sparkling through the bubble of Light now, begin to imagine bits of emerald green, the color of the energy of healing, and bits of rose pink, the color of the energy of love. Every cell of your body has its own intelligence and will use this healing energy for the highest good of the entire organism. This cocoon of Light does not interfere with the expression of love, as you love others, or the experience of love, as others love you. Take a few moments several times a day for the next few weeks and repeat to yourself this meditation. Repeat this meditation of Light when you awaken and before you go to sleep. Take a few seconds every time you feel tired or unhappy. Do it every time you feel happy and when you smile. See and feel this Light every time you breathe. Soon it will be with you permanently. This is your continued protection. Take another deep breath of Light now and begin to come back into your body. Completely back into your body. Reconnect your consciousness with every cell of your physical body. Take control; take charge of your own body. When you are ready to open your eyes to your own regular state of consciousness, you can do that. Another deep breath of Light now and come back.
- Use protective crystals. Ohhh how I love my crystals, stones and rocks! There are endless stones for protection so it comes down to what you’re drawn to. I am a hardcore Black Tourmaline lady, but the last time I went to the store, Black Obsidian pulled me right in. My favorite combo is Black Tourmaline and Clear Quartz or Selenite. I always have crystals in my pockets or purse. In my car to protect it while I’m driving (Smokey Quartz is best for vehicles). And Shungite surrounding my computer and other electronics to protect me from EMF exposure and also in my water tanks to purify the water. Mind you, although these stones are naturally protective, I’ve called in that intention for all of them before using them for those purposes. Head to your local metaphysical store, see what you’re drawn to, and start using it. You’ll be surprised! Side note: Black Tourmaline is my favorite for going out in public.
- Strengthen your aura. This is an advanced move for those who do energy work and/or are more experienced with managing their energy. When it comes to our being affected by other energies, it’s because that energy is stronger than ours, ie the aura is stronger. Therefore, protection is more about ensuring those stronger auras don’t affect us. However, if we build up a strong aura, then we won’t need protection from others. To begin strengthening your aura, focus on increasing your frequency and expanding your aura on a daily basis. Practice watching it extend in all directions around you. Work on thickening its barriers. Learn how to work with energy. And with time, you’ll notice a huge difference.
To summarize, learning to protect yourself is very important. Not only can it make a big difference in your day-to-day, but should be a foundational component in any spiritual practice.
Let me know if you have any questions — I’m happy to help in any way that I can.